December Commodore’s Report
Top Ten Reasons I Enjoyed 2015 at Austin Yacht Club
It is hard to believe my year as Commodore of the Austin Yacht Club has come to an end, but before the year ends, I wanted to share the Top Ten Reasons I had such a great year as your Commodore.
- The lake filled up—and the LCRA adopted a new water plan to hopefully keep from emptying it so fast when it does not rain.
- The docks all got moved back into the harbor and we have such nice easy access to the docks.
- We finally have a plan to add two new sets of steps to make it easier to get to the docks.
- We replaced Dock 5 with a new dock, and now the last of our old pipe and foam docks are gone.
- We purchased four new board boat docks for the Junior dock and will be getting nine more just like them in the next year.
- We upgraded the cabins with new beds, linens, and window coverings to make them look like really nice places to stay. And people have been renting them in record numbers.
- We added Coleman Terrell to our staff to assist our Sailing Director, Kate Noble.
- The Junior Program has a new RIB and dock to make it easier to coach our young sailors.
- Our fleet of FJs is being used more and more. Lessons are being given to teach members to sail double-handed centerboard boats and our Fleet Challenge using the FJs continues to have great attendance and fund raising.
- We have a new Board of Directors led by Commodore Molly Lewis, who will lead the Austin Yacht Club to another great year in 2016.
I had such a great time serving as your Commodore and I am glad you gave me the opportunity to do so. I think everyone will agree that my list, and probably some things I missed so I could keep it to just ten, shows what a great place we have in the Austin Yacht Club.
We have such a wonderful staff led by our General Manager Jackie Wheeless, Tom Cunningham, groundskeeper and all-around helper, and Sailing Director, Kate Noble. It was a pleasure working with all of them and also the Board of Directors that served with me. I am looking forward to the future at the Austin Yacht Club.
2015 AYC Commodore