Follow AYC’s Linda McDavitt blog as she races around the world!
AYC’s own Linda McDavitt is about to embark on the journey of a lifetime! See below from Linda herself about the 2015-2016 Clipper Round the World Race, how you can help, and how you can follow her around the globe:
Dear Friends (yes that includes ex-students) and family,
I have been promising a blog for my upcoming adventure, 2015-16 Clipper Round the World Race, for a while now and thanks to Doug Kern it is now working!
I am doing this race for several reasons:
1. It is my big bucket list item and I can fulfill my dream of sailing around the world and doing it in the manner I love, racing.
2. This offers me the challenge of a lifetime in many ways physically, mentally and spiritually. A chance to find out who I am.
3. A chance to do some incredible team building and work towards a common goal in an amazing manner. For all my band director friends and ex-students this is beginning to sound like marching band.
4. A chance to raise funds for few nonprofits in the process.
- As part of the race, each boat is raising funds for UNICEF UK. As an individual I can also raise funds for myself to help pay my way (NOT) or raise funds for a couple of nonprofits that are dear to me (YES!) (the Donate link will take you to my donation page)
- I am also raising funds for AYC Fund (Austin Yacht Club Fund) to support the youth sailing program, sailing education, competitive sailing and Instructor development. AYC has been a major part of my life since the 70s. I am looking forward to being able to pay back and give forward to the future for the sailors to come. (please make it in honor of Linda McDavitt’s 2015-16 Clipper Round the World Race)
- TEAMability, one of my all-time favorite nonprofits in San Antonio that provides children with severe multiple disabilities the opportunity to benefit from therapeutic educational intervention to participate actively in life. To see the children and the parent’s eyes light up and smile during their therapy sessions is worth anything that I can do to help them. (In the message section, please note that the donation is in honor of Linda McDavitt’s 2015-16 Clipper Round the World Race)
So, this is also very much about raising funds for these organizations. I am hoping to raise $10 for each mile (40,000 miles) of our race between the three organizations. However, any amount of donation will help and be welcomed!! At the end of the race, we turn in the amounts raised for the nonprofits and I would like to be able to win that honor. I don’t believe that a trophy is involved which is good because I don’t have space in my bag for one. So help us out and when you have some spare $$$ that you can send to any one of the three groups above, go to my Blog and click on the Donate link and then donate through my site so that I will get credit (not the money, just the credit) for it!!!
And here is what you need to know. The blog can be found at https://bandboat.wordpress.com . Get on and subscribe ( click the ‘Follow Me’ box ) so that you will receive the updates as they are posted. Once we start racing August 31st, I will only be posting when we get to the next stop. Stops are usually a month apart and I will post a schedule on the site. To help you follow my journey, you need to start at the bottom of the blog (earliest entry) and read up for the latest news. If you were at my AYC Presentation you can start after July 10th. There is also a lot of information about the Race that Doug has posted for me.
Once the race starts, there will be daily updates at www.clipperroundtheworld.com that will show where each boat is and a report from that boat. My boat is Clipper Telemed so cheer us on!
KSAT in San Antonio will also be following us closely in support of TEAMability. Watch for updates from them.
There will also be a virtual race that all of you can do at home in your easy chair. When the final information about it comes out, I will post it on the blog. You will get the same weather reports as we do, and you have the opportunity to race us to the next port.
Thank you for your support and if you come across a challenge or a crisis, think it to me and I will include it in my daily challenge so we can work it out together.
Don’t forget to Donate!!!