March Commodore’s Report
AYC is now officially “open”! We celebrated Opening Day 2016 earlier this month on March 7th. It was yet another wonderful day on Lake Travis and a good excuse to celebrate the treasure we have here at AYC. Many thanks to all those who pitched in a made it happen!
As has been pointed out many times, Opening Day is hardly the start of racing and sailing on Lake Travis. Already this year, in addition to completing the Frostbite Series, AYC has hosted a Spinnaker Clinic by John Bartlett, a Race Committee Clinic led by Vic Manning, a Start Clinic by Scott Young, a weekend-long Junior Racing Clinic coordinated by the Roadrunner and supported by Kate and Coleman, pre-season junior training, and more! As the winning-est sailors will tell you, a good start makes a huge difference. And that’s exactly what we had In January and February. Here’s what’s coming up next, just between now and the end of April:
- Spring Series Races – we had a great turnout for Race #1, and expect more terrific spring sailing throughout the series, with the social committee providing delicious meals following each race. The series will end on April 17 with the Chaparral de Mar Regatta coordinated by the Ensign Fleet.
- AYC will host a J/24 circuit stop, the Easter Laser Regatta, the TSA Roadrunner Regatta, a J/70 circuit stop and the UT Sailing Team’s SIESA Team Racing Championship and McCarthy Cup.
- Regular season junior practice has begun, and Kate and Coleman will also be providing a four-week Friday-night FJ Training Series for adults beginning April 1, the Sail Training committee will offer a Learn-to-Sail clinic on April 16, and Harry Polly will teach US Sailing Level 1 on April 23-24 and April 30-May 1.
- On April 1, we’ll host a special social event where David and Cindy Balfour will talk about their adventures cruising down the western coast of the US and Mexico and across the Pacific to New Zealand, stopping at the Galapagos and Marquesas Islands along the way.
- During the last week in April, Wednesday night Sunfish and Laser sailing and Friday night Beer Can races will start.
There is a lot going on. Come out and be a part of it. In addition to enjoying it just because it’s all fun, you can also take pride in knowing that you are fulfilling the vision that our founders had when they bought the land and built the club in the 1950’s!
Keep living the legacy!