Welcome to the Sunfish Fleet!
Whatever your skill level, from novice to guru, you’ll find an opportunity here to participate and enjoy the Sunfish experience. If you are interested but not quite sure how to start, contact the Sunfish Fleet Captain and we’ll get you on your way!
The gate is open for all to sail either sunfish or laser on Wednesday. First start is at 6 and we race to sunset May through September. We meet under the club house after the races.
Here are the Sailing Instructions for Wednesday Nights .
Please sign-up for RC for Wednesday nights at Wednesday night RC sign-up page. On the signup page, you click on the day that you wish to signup for and a checkmark will appear then go down to the bottom of the page and click the submit and save button which will take you to a new page where you enter your name and email address. You can also enter a comment, such as “need experienced co-RC person”. You then go to the bottom of the page and click the “sign up now!” button.
PLEASE READ Tips for RC on Wednesday, a list of reminders for before and during the racing to make the evening work better for everyone involved. Please have a copy as you set up the RC boat and run the races.
For those of you who are not AYC members, please have a Wednesday Night Racing Waiver on record with Pat Manning.
If you have changed your sail number or your name is missing from the results please let Joe Horn know and he will correct the results sheets.
2022 Wednesday Evening Scores
2022 Championship Evening Scores
Other Sunfish Sailing Activities at AYC
- AYC Centerboard Regatta will be held October 8-9, 2022. This regatta is part of the Texas Sunfish Racing Circuit.
- Saturday Sunfish Sailing. You’ll find some of the fleet sailing together on most Saturday mornings just for fun. This is a great time for beginners to get more tiller time. Contact the Sunfish Fleet Captain to keep updated on meeting times, which are sometimes weather dependent.
- If you want to dip your toe in the water first, charter a Sunfish from AYC and sign up for some lessons. See the Dinghy Charter program on the AYC website, and information about private or semi-private lessons.
Texas Sunfish Racing Calendar for 2022
- May 7-8, Spring Dinghy, Rush Creek and SW Regional Regatta #1
- June TBA Fort Worth Boat Club
- Sept 3-4, Fall Dinghy, Rush Creek
- Sept 10-11, Goatsman, Fort Worth
- Oct 8-9, Centerboard, Austin
- Nov 5-6, Wurstfest, Canyon Lake
- Sept 24-25, SW Regional Regatta #2, Lincoln Nebraska
- Ann Gairloff Memorial Award. Every year, the Sunfish Fleet awards the Ann Gairloff Memorial Award to the female sailor showing the most zest and enjoyment of the Sunfish experience. Ann was a long-time member of the Austin Yacht Club, serving on the AYC Board of Directors and various committees in addition to competitively racing sunfish and J24s. This award is in tribute to her enthusiasm for sailing and her contributions to the Sunfish fleet.
- 2021: Claudia Bartlett
- 2020: Vicky Stones
- 2019 Louise Miller
- 2018 Lucy Brock
- 2015: Linda McDavitt
- 2014: Jenny Loehlin
- 2013 Annie Lancaster
- 2012 Kim Scheberle
- 2011 Sarah Baker Faust
- 2010 Annie Lancaster
- 2009 Pat Manning
- 2020 Sunfish Southwest Regional Championship held at Rush Creek Yacht Club, September 19-20, 2020. AYC member Stewart Draheim won first place. AYC members James Brock, Lucy Brock and Annie Lancaster took 2nd, 3rd and 4th places, respectively.
- 2018 Women’s USSCA North American Championship. AYC member Lucy Brock won. This was a qualifying event for the 2019 Sunfish Worlds in Bonaire.
Here’s a Link showing how you can set up a Jens rig.
Resources for Sunfish Sailing from the International Sunfish Class Association (ISCA) https://www.sunfishclass.org/get-smarter-faster
History of Sunfish Fleet 70, by Vic Manning
Sunfish 2022 Fleet Officers
Fleet Captain – Annie Lancaster
Scorekeeper – Joe Horn
Treasurer – Pat Manning