Thank you for your interest in the Austin Yacht Club. We hope this information is helpful in your consideration in joining our club. For your convenience, you may apply for membership online.
AYC is located on over 30 acres of lake front
property on Lake Travis, in the heart of Texas Hill
Country, 30 minutes from downtown Austin.
AYC’s programs and events include junior and
adult sail training led by a full-time Sailing
Director. Camps and clinics, typically taught by
members with world class cruising and racing
experience, cover a wide range of topics.
Many programs are free or discounted for AYC
members, and open to non-members.
At AYC, racing is a year-round sport. Friday
Night Beer Can races, Wednesday Night Laser/
Sunfish races, regular weekend Series Races and
numerous annual Club Regattas offer everyone
– from new racers to national champions –
opportunities to test their sailing skills on beautiful Lake Travis.
The Austin Yacht Club is a private sailing club, founded in 1951 primarily for the purpose of promoting sailboat racing and sailboat racing related social activities and water sports on Lake Travis. A completed Membership Application and the non-refundable application fee (currently $100 plus tax) begins the membership application process.
The AYC facilities include all of the amenities that active sailboat racers need to conveniently race their boats and enjoy Lake Travis:
• Wet slips for 160 boats up to 30’ in length in a sheltered cove • 76 dock spaces for small Centerboards, allowing easy launch access • 200 dry sail parking spaces with boats stored on trailers • Two launch ramps with rigging docks • Two mast-stepping cranes • A members’ work area with hoist (10,000 pound capacity) • Dry out area for temporary storage “on the hard” • Clubhouse with air conditioning and wireless Internet • Swimming pool, picnic areas and playground • Bathhouse with showers • Rental cabins, screened camp shelters and RV hookups
AYC members are our biggest asset and the Club has a long tradition of volunteerism. This spirit strengthens AYC’s sense of community and keeps membership affordable. Whether it is a Club Work Party, a Series Race, a Club Regatta or one of the Club’s numerous social gatherings, our members are always willing to pitch in to make it a great event – to ensure all feel welcome and leave with great memories.
Sailboat racing is a priority at AYC but that doesn’t mean prospective members need a long sailing and racing resume in order to join the Club. AYC offers tremendous opportunities for sailing education, including Learn To Sail and Learn to Race Clinics, Race Management Clinics, a Youth Sailing Program, Summer Youth Sailing Camps and PB&J Sail Training for sailors as young as age four. AYC is an accredited ASA Sailing School and offers a host of certificate courses
There are different “Categories” of membership. The four membership “Categories” open to new members are described below:
- “Senior Membership” entitles you to boat storage on the docks or grounds and voting privileges in addition to all other AYC membership benefits. “Senior Membership” is approved following an annual probationary period, in which the new member completes at least 12 racing related activities and at least 3 volunteer activities. The application fee for “Senior Membership” is $100.00 (plus tax) and there is an additional initiation fee of $600 (plus tax) billed in two installments, $300 (plus tax) upon approval of the membership application by the AYC Board of Directors, and the remaining $300 (plus tax) upon successful completion of the probationary year. Monthly Dues are currently $100.00 (includes tax). Boat storage fees are an additional charge. Priority for storage is reserved for active racers due to our limited number of slips.
- “Associate Membership” is designed for individuals who are learning or enhancing their sailing skills and do not intend to store a boat on the premises. “Associate Members” are entitled to all AYC membership privileges, with the exception of boat storage, the right to hold office, and all voting privileges. “Associate Membership” is approved following an annual probationary period in which 15 total Club activities, of which at least 3 must be racing-related and at least 3 must be volunteer activities; the balance may be either racing-related or volunteer. The application fee for “Associate Membership” is $100 (plus tax), and there is an additional $300 (plus tax) initiation fee billed in 2 installments — $150 (plus tax) upon approval of the membership application by the AYC Board of Directors, and $150 (plus tax) at the successful completion of the probationary year. Monthly Dues are currently $100.00 (includes tax).
- “Young Adult Membership” is restricted to individuals from 19 to 29 years of age. “Young Adult Members” have all the privileges of “Senior Membership” but monthly dues and the initiation fee are less expensive. The application fee of $100 (plus tax) is still required, but the initiation fee is half the “Senior Membership” fee. The initiation fee is payable in 2 installments — $150 (plus tax) upon approval of the membership application by the AYC Board of Directors, and $150 (plus tax) at the successful completion of the probationary year. Monthly Dues are currently $74.00 (includes tax).
- “Junior Student Membership” is restricted to individuals younger than 19 years of age. The purpose of this type of student membership is to allow limited, supervised use of the AYC facilities by junior sailors who are learning to race. Juniors are eligible to be members in this category until they reach the age of 19. “Junior Student Member” privileges shall be limited to use of the AYC facilities and boat storage in the Junior Sailing Facility. “Junior Student Members” are exempt from initiation fees and are not included in the applicant priorities. They do pay dues and carry an account at AYC which shall be billed to a parent who agrees to be responsible for the “Junior Student Member” charges. “Junior Student Membership” is an individual membership, not a family membership. A “Junior Student Member” may be accompanied by family members on AYC grounds while sailing or participating in a Junior Sailing activity. A “Junior Student Member” does not have guest privileges, but may invite family or a guest to AYC for social functions. Monthly dues are $32.00 (includes tax). The “Junior Student Membership” application also requires the $100 (plus tax) application fee.
For complete information about AYC membership policies and procedures, including specifics on probationary requirements, please read Sections III to VII of the Membership Handbook.
Membership interviews are conducted by the Membership Committee at a meeting on the third Thursday of the month, except December. Final approval is voted by the AYC Board at its monthly meeting on the fourth Thursday of each month, except December. Completed membership applications with the $100 (plus tax) application fee must be received in the AYC office no later than close of business the Tuesday just prior to the Membership meeting. Attendance at this meeting is required for all prospective members, and the AYC Office will attempt to contact you prior to the meeting.
Sailboat racing is a sport that can be enjoyed by the entire family. The Austin Yacht Club offers an extensive racing program complemented by a social calendar and excellent Sail Training opportunities for youth, high school/college age and adult sailors. We hope you will consider joining AYC.
Feel free to contact the AYC Office if you have any questions or require further information. The office is open Wednesday through Sunday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Immediate Past Commodore-AYC Membership Chairman